In our digital world, the camera roll on your iPhone can quickly become cluttered with duplicate photos. Whether they’re multiple shots of the same scene, similar selfies, or screenshots that you’ve forgotten about, these duplicates can consume valuable storage space on your device. In this article, we will guide you on how to merge duplicate photos on your iPhone, allowing you to reclaim and manage your storage efficiently.
Why You Should Merge Duplicate Photos on iPhone
Before we delve into the methods to merge iPhone duplicate photos, it’s important to understand why this step is crucial.
- Storage Space Management: Duplicate photos can take up a significant chunk of your iPhone’s storage space. By merging these duplicates, you can free up space, allowing your device to run more efficiently.
- Organization: Merging duplicate photos can help tidy up your photo library and space, making it very easier to find your cherished memories and important screenshots when you need them.
- Efficient Backups: Backing up your device can take longer and consume more cloud storage when you have multiple copies of the same photos. By merging duplicates, you reduce the size of your backups, saving you time and potentially money if you pay for additional cloud storage.
How to Merge Duplicate Photos on iPhone
Now that we understand why it’s important, let’s explore the process of merging duplicate pics on your iPhone.
Guide to Merge All Duplicate iPhone Images
The process to locate and eliminate these recurring images is rather simple. In your Photos application, there’s a dedicated folder for these duplicates. Here’s how to consolidate all duplicates simultaneously:
- Launch the Photos application and select Albums.
- Scroll downwards and under the Utilities section, click on Duplicates. All the duplicate images will appear side by side, along with their corresponding dates and sizes.
- To consolidate all the duplicates, tap on Select, which is located at the upper right corner of your screen.
- Next, opt for Select All at the top left corner of your display.
- Choose Merge (X) at the bottom of your screen. This number signifies the collection of duplicates that will be consolidated.
- Lastly, depending on the notification you receive, click on Merge X Copies or Merge X Exact Copies.
How Merging Duplicate Photos Saves Storage Space
Merging iPhone duplicate photos can result in substantial storage space savings. On average, a single photo taken with an iPhone 12’s camera can be about 4-5 MB. If you have tonnes of duplicate photos, this can quickly add up to a significant portion of your iPhone’s storage.
By merging duplicates, you can potentially free up gigabytes of storage space. This additional space can be used for new apps, more photos, videos, music, and other content.
In an age where our smartphones are our primary cameras, it’s easy to accumulate duplicate photos on our devices. Merging these duplicates not only declutters your photo library but also frees up valuable storage space on your iPhone. Whether you prefer to manually sort through your photos, use built-in features, or enlist the help of third-party apps, merging duplicate pics on your iPhone is a beneficial practice for maintaining an organized and efficient device.
Remember, before you start deleting duplicates, always make sure you have a backup of your pictures. This way, you can avoid accidentally losing any important memories in the process. Happy organizing!